Tuesday, November 23, 2004

the home game phenomena

...so to reward myself for actually reading a book over the weekend I'm wasting three or more hours playing a promotional game on the website for the movie "Elektra" starring Jennifer Garner...

The whole thing seems to make sense and tie together quite tidily. The book was by Chuck Klosterman who is a staff writer at SPIN magazine and it was called "Sex, Drugs and Cocoa Puffs." SPIN has been drifting quality and focus-wise over the last few years, but the columns written by Klosterman and, more recently, David Eggers have made it easier to stomach the blandness. Anyhow, Klosterman's book is a pop culture deconstruction that simultaneously is reverent towards the lowbrow yet makes no bones about how anesthetized we've become in worshipping at its knuckle dragging altar. Good fun.

In an effort to engage in this construct AND concurrently support Jennifer Garner's career I play the little Ninja fighter flash game on the movie's website. You get to glimpse character's from the movie, get called a fag by people using the alias "kill bill" AND watch the work hours tick tock away.

If that isn't what DSL was made for, what is?

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

My guess is you posted twice to see if anyone would notice. As the only true fan of this blog (see previous and only comment), let me say that a) I noticed and b) I have way too much time on my hands. I'm not even at work.

I loved Garner's work in Daredevil. Well, in the trailer, anyway.

Matthew