Monday, November 28, 2005

how to start a week

Having transgressed against my "no tv" edict last night... new episodes of Simpsons and Family Guy that were pretty crappy when it comes right down to it... I got up this morning with a song in my heart (Witchita Lineman by Glen Campbell) and a slight spring in my recently more orthopedically hampered step.

I kicked things off with a coffee and an outline of a postcard story I'm trying to bang out to submit by Thursday for a lit mag contest. Next a quick shower to fix up my bed-enhanced hipster 'do. My shower has been uncooperative lately. I think the cold water pipe leading in to the shower head has all but seized up. I get things just right through the bath faucet, pull the stopper and... MAGMA MAGMA MAGMA!!! I go crashing through my recently installed new shower curtain and nearly out the back window. All in all... no fun!

I head downtown to the Library to grab a couple of anti-TV supplements... what you would call books... for the week:

Jan Zwicky-Robinson's Crossing


Bret Easton Ellis-Lunar Park



I always like Jan's poetry... but really it's the Ellis book I've been curious about... and surprised to see the library got it so quickly (it was actually bought with book sale money... hmmm.) From the reviews I gather it essentially starts out as an autobiography and eventually becomes a murder mystery. What is fiction and what is fact shifts and intermeshes. I've only read a little Ellis, so maybe I'm not the ideal audience... we'll see.

The I hopped the 15S uptown to the Jubilee Super Buffet. I didn't make a special trip... I needed stuff at Staples and Sobey's... but still I felt the need for a little food-based overindulgence:



See? Super Cheap! And also I'm still figuring out the new bus line perambulations. I'm getting closer.

Also made a quick stop at Jingler's. A place I seldom get to... and it was overflowing with fine wrinkly American outerwear (and underwear... not terribly sexy stuff... although it was fun to see a 50ish woman dragging her baseball hatted husband along with her to browse through it for a new bra). The sheer heaping was staggering to the senses, so I grabbed one shirt so I could say I'd been there:


If you can't make it out, it says: Conneticut Women's Football. It's a big girl's shirt... I figure if you've been called it from time to time why not wear it.

Did my mall stuff then took the 13S to Regent Mall and transferred to the 16N down through campus to work. And here I am.

And that's how to start a week.

Thanks

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

More, more, more, I never want to cross the finish line when I read your daily happenings.