Monday, September 10, 2007

How I Spent My Summer Holiday



To offset the fact that I'd have to work back to back 6 day weeks starting on September 10th (due to an impromptu Eric's Trip reunion tour... ah the sacrifices I've made to rock...) I decided I would take a week off leading up. I started thinking about the last time I had a whole week off... and other than the stretches in May I take to cover the FIMAV for Exclaim!, I think it was actually the summer of 1991.

You know what that does to you?

In the weeks leading up to this miraculous stretch of off-workness I marvelled over the possibilities: I could go up to Ottawa and visit Marc L.; I could find out if there's a show I want to see anywhere on the East Coast; I could take a few days and hang around Percé and go out on boats and read and....

But.

I had to visit my folks at some point during the week. I hadn't made it up all summer and only seen them briefly in Quebec City (see previous entry).

The problem arises that, since I usually travel by bus everywhere, getting to and from Matapedia kills a day each way... Acadian Lines leaves F'ton at 11:30 and gets there at 5pm and vice versa. So now we're down to four useable days. I can still go down the coast to Percé though.

But.

I have upcoming Surge! shows on the 14th and 21st of September that needed posters, press, promotion, plus a raft of other previously backburnered tasks that it wouldn't do to leave undone before leaving... so that takes two days. And that leaves two days. In Matepedia. I can still go to Pointe-a-la-Garde one afternoon and walk on the beach and peek around all the my old childhood haunts.

But.

There are thunderstorms forecast for that day.

So... there's still a refrigerator full of food and court tv... and I did walk around the river that runs behind my folks' apartment.




It's incredibly low due to hot weather and very little rainfall. This is a salmon river, remember... one that usually draws wealthy tourists from all around the world.




Normally this point would be under about 8-10 feet of water. This isn't a structurally or aesthetically normal inukshuk... but my back hurts, so I can't stay bent over very long.


Back at homebase their's is a marvellously messed up kitty to torture... and my mom's slippers in the background, there.

So... the moral is... take vacations regularly, 'cos once you stop you completely lose the knack.

No comments: