Wednesday, March 30, 2005

Less Health, Less Welfare

Time has passed.

About... no, exactly 3 weeks since my last post. I was sick then... told you I'd tell you more about it... well not much to tell really.... For about a week and a bit I had what I dubbed a "migratory flu," one that started in my head & throat at waking, moved into my chest by afternoon, then gave me diarrhea by evening. Repeat until unnecessarily irate.

As with most cold/flus (flues?) I get in the winter (thankfully few and spaciously spaced apart) the symptoms tend to linger long after the actual affliction has fled. This time is similar, but rather than the usual cough and headache I've been left with a lingering stomach ailment.

In truth this stomach thingy has its roots from back before xmas, at least. After a couple of holiday-fortified nights of drinking I awoke to not only my standard inside-brain-earthquake of a hangover but also a sharpish pain in my guts. The first time I wrote it off to overdoingness, but the second time I started to worry a little bit more. But then it kinda went away.

Over the ensuing few months I noticed I was getting indigestion more frequently than usual (which is to say usually never), and also decreasingly hilarious bouts of gas after meals. My diet is very bad, you see... too much fast food, not enough water, vegetables, fibre... you know, modern. I would wake up early with a surprisingly empty feeling in my stomach, not unlike hunger, coupled with nausea balancing the other end of the equation. Eating alleviated the nausea but quickly produced bloating. This too came and went for the last couple of months.

Over the last two weeks, though, it has been more or less my waking state. I'm sick and tired of waking up sick and tired, to paraphrase the punk lyric.

I have a doctor's appointment next week, but in the interim have been feverishly self-diagnosing with the help of:

Medicinenet

It's an excellent site for the medically curious, not to mention the mildly hyponchondriac.

So, obviously I'm hoping it's something minor, transitory, easily treatable... I'll let you know.


In other not-so-happy news...

Well, let me say, really, on one hand it IS happy news... my Mandy got herself a job curating for the Andrew & Laura McCain Gallery. It's a good job and a good chance, and one she fully deserves. The downside is that it's in Florenceville, which is an hour and a half away.

It starts soon... next week. So I am really, selfishly, sad about it. It's not so far that we won't be able see each other, but I've grown adhesively attached to having her around every day. It's going to make time pass very slowly.

Well. Must go for now and tcb, or pcb, or pcp. So long as it doesn't upset my stomach.

later

No comments: