Monday, August 08, 2005

The Health of Welfaring


Sluggish.

At the end of another 6 hour stretch at the lab tweaking sounds, burning CDs and DVDs, uploading files to FTPs (just in case), I'm officially burnt out.

I was burnt out on Saturday when I came up and sat in front of the computer for 5 hours wishing it would just develop A.I. and take care of me instead of vice versa.

I was burnt out on Sunday when I came back up at 9 am and work through 'til 5 pm, breaking only for a nutrient-weak*** lunch of burritos and ring-o-los (with 2% milk to build my bones).

Now I'm also burnt out.

So it goes.

I reached a point on Sunday where I just felt like I'd lost the point to it all... sorta, "I don't enjoy performing this stuff and no one really enjoys listening to it... so why am I working dozens of hours on fart noises then taking a 13 hour bus ride to do this?" Fortunately I've come to recognize this as my very usual pre-show depression... kinda like post-partum, but in reverse.

***Oh yeah... the "nutrient" thing jumped up and bit me on the ass a week and a half ago... I'd been a pretty good boy, diligently taking the prescribed Prevacid (at $80+ a month for we non-Blue Crossed) daily or every other daily; then my prescription ran out smack in the early stages of a house-sitting stint at my friends Howard and Linda's. My stomach had been feeling tons better so the initial absence of my morning pill-pop went largely unnoticed... no pill bottle on the bathroom sink, out of mind. Likewise my pretty stuck-to diet routine went out the window as I chowed down on snack foods and upped my coffee intake to counter early cat-induced risings.

About a week into the bad-diet, drugless stretch I started to get diarrhea... I had bought some questionable sandwich fixins at Victory and I wrote it up to that... but a day later I started getting cramps... little ones at first... then bad ones... then bad ones every 5-10 minutes... which went on like this for 2 and a half days... sleep was difficult as each cramp woke me up... eating was impossible outside of broth and yoghurt...

At first opportunity I re-filled my prescription and popped like a speed freak, topping off with Eno and Pepto and any other "O" ending substance I could grab... eventually my tummy settled and sleep returned.

Even the cat looked happier.

Now if I can just get this show behind me... no, really FUN FUN FUN

No comments: