Friday, August 12, 2005

it is a capital idea

Hey,

I'm in Ottawa. I'd show you a picture of where I am, but I didn't bring up a camera, nor does the version of explorer installed on this computer display the funny little "add picture" icon... so that's that. Look up Ottawa Ontario on google... you'll see what it looks like.

The bus trip up was pretty good... the usual blend of comforting immobilization and discomforting sweat from having a largish senior citizen from Kingston fall asleep leaning on you. I coped with it all by playing the most recent Eluvium CD 8 or 10 times in a row between Riviere du Loup and Montreal.

Our performance is tonight... I'm excited/aprehensive... have that familiar pre-preformance loosening of the bowels. It took a while yesterday afternoon to get all of the media on Marc's laptop... it was nearly full to the top and needed emptying before all the sound files could be added. The sound editor I'm (ab)using for the show has been trying some idiosyncratic methods of working that don't always involve always actually "working" so I'm a little squeamish about that.

It seems like in all the not-so-many times I've done sound performances I've never had the same audio set up twice... that plus a reliance on mostly borrowed equipment is kinda like getting invited to parties where you're not sure anyone you know will be attending.

Another up-and-downside to the trip is that it always seems like there is just a little too little time to see and do all the people and... er... things you'd like. I feel like I'm always short-changing someone... reverse-selfishly it's usually myself... or is that massive-passive aggressively?

You tell me.

Well back to it.

No comments: