Sunday, March 11, 2007

Three vignettes


Three ways people can waste your time:

1) The short way:

Guy comes in, hands in pockets and starts a counterclockwise loop of the store.

Me: Are you looking for anything special?

Guy: No. I like looking at the covers, mostly.

Me: Some of the music inside them is pretty good too.

Guy: Oh... I think I'm a little old for new music. Ah, no. I shouldn't say that. I've been enjoying Jack White lately. And I like electronica in the background.

Guy finishes his counterclockwise loop, never having taken his hands out of his pockets, and walks out.

-----

2) The longer way:

Guy comes in and says, "I'm looking for something alternative."

Me: Ok, well... what are you into now?

Guy: Y'know... a lot of stuff. All different kinds. But I seem to be listening to a lot of 80s music lately.

Me: Ah. Well... if you like more dramatic stuff I guess something like The Arcade Fire would be somewhere to start. (note: this was a little while ago, so the new album wasn't out yet). I'll play a little of it for you.

Guy: (listening) I haven't heard of this band... they're pretty good.

Me: Yeah, a lot of people like them. This album made many top ten lists last year.

Guy: Yeah... I like the bass line, I'm a bass player myself... but I don't think it's what I'm after.
I kinda wanted something closer to what I've been listening to.

Me: What have you been listening to most lately?

Guy: I dunno, Guns and Roses, probably.

Me: Ah. Well, I'm not sure I can think of something new right off that would fit that bill.

Guy: Well, I''ll just browse and see what catches my eye. How about this Pearl Jam? They're alternative, aren't they?

Me: Well... to Guns and Roses, I guess they would be at that.

Guy: Cool.
------

3) The even longer way:

Guy walks in, starts browsing the vinyl and says, "Wow some of this stuff is great. I haven't bought any new music in quite a while."

Me: Were you looking for anything in particular?

Guy: Not really, I guess. I'm into stuff that has a bit of country mixed with rock... or rockabilly. (Pulls out a Jason and the Scorchers album) Like this... this is great.

Me: OK..., well... I've got a couple of things on vinyl by The Long Ryders... do you know them?

Guy: No. I've never heard of them. They're good?

Me: Yeah. They're one of the early American groups that played the style that Wilco or Jayhawks eventually took up.

Guy: Sounds good, but I don't have a working turntable at the moment.

Me: Ah. So... I guess you'd be looking for CDs then?

Guy: Yeah, do you have any suggestions there?

Me: OK, well there's this disc by Jay Farrar who was in Son Volt.

Guy: I don't know Son Volt.

Me: Son Volt was the other half of Uncle Tupelo when Jeff Tweedy broke off to for Wilco.

Guy: I know Wilco. This is good?

Me: It's a little bit stranger instrumentally, but the songs are good. I'll play you a little.

Guy: (Listening) Yeah it's interesting, but not quite what I was after today.

Me: OK, well do you know Cracker?

Guy: Can't say that I do.

Me: Dave Lowery used to be in a band called Camper Van Beethoven... you know them?

Guy: No.

Me: Well, Cracker is his more straight ahead twangy Rock band... I'll play you a little.

Guy: (Listening to a few tracks) Yeah. This is what I like listening to.

Me: (Taking out the CD and getting ready for a sale). OK then.

Guy: Yeah, I have a buddy who works down at Tony's... I'll ask him about these guys and see what he says.

Me: ....

Guy: OK, thanks. See you later.

I don't see him later. I guess that despite liking what he heard, outside confirmation was necessary. We all need a little help.

No comments: