Monday, May 07, 2007

Sunny sun sun.


So now I'm on vacation, right?

Well, no. But I am one job lighter... my evenings are again my own. That's sort've a vacation, right?

Well, no. Waiting in the wings was an avalanche of tasks put on the backburner... including the Surge! event advertised in the poster above. But in my ardent desire to feel like I'm on vacation I've spent as much of the last ten days as possible either watching movies, playing video games or asleep. Or eating. I've eaten a lot of meat in the last ten days.

And I did my taxes.

And I visited M. a couple of times.

And I went to see Sleepy Driver and Andrew Titus read up a storm this past Saturday.

And I went into work on Sunday at the lab, even though, it turned out, I didn't have to.

And I came into work today at the Store, because suddenly I had to... and today turned quickly (probably because of the warmer temperature) into a clusterf*ck where three people in rapid succession called to tell me the same goddamn story:

"I just (found/inherited/collected) a box of vinyl and I was wondering if you'd buy them?"

After applying the appropriate list of provisos and questions... we don't take country, classical or easy listening... they have to be in good shape... etc.... I had dismissed all three. But did they go gently into the good night? Ha ha ha.

(1) These albums are really old... some of them are thick... really thick. Can you buy equipment to record onto vinyl at home? Some of these have handwritten labels.

Me: We don't have any collectors for 78s... I'd try either antique stores or auction houses.

He: You think these are antiques?

Me: Well they're old... that's a criteria.

He: And you don't know anyone else who'd buy them?

Me: I don't know anyone here in Fredericton... most of our vinyl buyers are way too young to know what any of your titles would be... I think it's the same for most music stores in the Maritimes?

He: And you wouldn't have anyone who'd want them here in town?

**there should be a "see above" button you could push on the telephone.

(2) I have this bunch of records someone left with me... I don't really know most of the titles... I'm keeping three of them myself.

Me: Well could you give me a rough idea of the kind of music... generally?

She: I don't really know what kind of music... these aren't artists I know.

Me: Give me a couple of the titles, for example.

She: I don't really know the titles either.

Me: But you could probably read them, couldn't you?

She: Well, yeah (fumbling noises) I don't know... (fumbling)... (silence).

Me: Do you have them there?

She: Yeah, OK... (fumbling) there's, uh, Mac Davis and uh, Al Stewart... and... who's Connie Kaldor?

Me: She's a Canadian singer... it doesn't sound, from those three titles, like there's anything we'd be able to use at the moment.

She: There's some 80s stuff, too.

Me: Ah, OK... like what?

She: Some Tears for Fears, uh, Cindy Lauper... Paul Butterfield Blues Band.

Me: Well... the Paul Butterfield isn't really 80s, but it is more along the lines of what we could use. If you wanted to drop them off, or bring in a list, I could go through and weed things out... but in any case I'd need to see what shape their in.

She: There's some classical collectons?

Me: We don't take classical... but, again, why don't you bring them in and we'll have a look.

She: There's some Eagles?

Me: I'd have to see the collection.

She: There's some...

Me: I have someone at the counter... I'm letting you go now.

(hanging up I faintly hear: There's some... hey, I...)



(3) See the above two and mix and match the conversation.


Then there were a few instore questions like:

He: Do you have any Cat Power?

Me: Yes, we have You Are Free and Dear Sir, her first one. Here I'll find them for you.

He: This one is more expensive than the other one. Why?

Me: Well... they are different albums? Different labels, different distributors... not everything is the same price.


I'm going to go home, put on shorts, drink a bottle of wine... blast some drone music and write some poetry.

And maybe I'll put a bunch of vinyl out in the sun and watch it melt... just for kicks.

No comments: