Monday, January 23, 2006

Election


Back in 1973 Alice Cooper's very fun Billion Dollar Babies album featured a song called Elected. The lyrics went thusly:

I'm your top prime cut of meat, I'm your choice
I wanna be elected
I'm your yankee doodle dandy in a gold Rolls Royce
I wanna be elected
Kids want a savior, don't need a fake
I wanna be elected
We're gonna rock to the rules that I make
I wanna be elected, elected, elected
I never lied to you, I've always been cool
I wanna be elected
I gotta get the vote, and I told you about school
I wanna be elected, elected, elected
Hallelujah, I wanna be elected
Everyone in the United States of America
We're gonna win this one, take the country by storm
We're gonna be elected
You and me together, young and strong
We're gonna be elected, elected, elected
Respected, selected, call collected
I wanna be elected, elected


In the run off of the track there was an improvised rant about the "creation of a new party, a third party... THE WILD PARTY!!!" Well it's 33 years later and maybe, just maybe the wild party did win out after all. We went from the Clinton sex scandals to the Bush Beer Bong Blow-Up Fest over the last 10 years. I can't help but think that Alice didn't have this in mind exactly. But you can ask him yourself when you go and see him at Harbour Station in May (with Helix!!!).

Here in Canada it's election day... and whether there is a Wild Party (outside of the Marijuana Party, who likely bust out more of a mellow party than a wild one) is debatable. The sponsorship scandal supports a claim of the Liberals being pretty lame in their wildness... giving kickbacks to Quebec companies to downshift the sovereignist support system (possibly, allegedly)... it actually is somewhat patriotic in a real underhanded way (which is the best way arguably). The NDP is wild in a lets get together and responsibly enjoy each other's company and strive for communal betterment. Wild? No. Good idea? Yeah... if you like communal betterment (it's a new concept and maybe not grammatically sound). And the Conservatives? Well the name is a give away isn't it? If your idea of wild is Republican-lite then Wooooo and also Hoooo!!!

Well by now it's too late anyway... polls have just closed. And if you're poorly like most of the folks I know then life will continue to suck in the same mildly variable way... and be joyful in the same old ways... I mean ALICE COOPER!!! HARBOUR STATION!!! HELIX!!! AVIAN FLU!!! Errr... maybe not the last one so much.

Today's track is another cover. Sylvain Chauveau is a French artist with a great back catalogue of works from minimalist solo piano pieces to drone based works in a duo called ON, and more. One of his recent works is with the Ensemble Nocturne, billed as "An Acoustic Tribute to Depeche Mode" and titled Down to the Bone:


Enjoy the Silence [taken down]

No comments: