Wednesday, January 18, 2006

Rappie Pie Blues


It's raining buckets in Fredericton right now and the new fallen snow on the sidewalks downtown has taken on the glutinous appearence of Rappie Pie. I guess you had to be there on Sunday night at James' place. If you were, you know.

In other news I believe I may have found the most hardcore blues song of all time. None of your Robert Johnsons with "Hellhounds on My Trail." None of your Blind Lemon Jeffersons with their "See That My Grave is Kept Clean." I'm talking about a track from this classic album:



And this is the track I'm talkin' 'bout:



When you consider it most blues songs rest upon the existential crutch of things not possibly getting any worse. Here Grover takes a slight step backwards from the abyss and considers his fate: Things obviously have gone wrong. Who done bad by who is not clear... but... BUT, "Still, We Like Each Other." I mean, what a kick to the nads!!! He's obviously not going to get his CDs back from his girl/guy/mop/whatever. He's never going to see the sweater he forgot at her/his/its place. If she/he/it starts dating someone new they obviously wouldn't find it inappropriate to hang out in the same bars Grover goes to... not worried if he sees them because, "Still, We Like Each Other." I mean... that's the friggin' blues, man.

Our song today comes from a late 2005 release by Bonnie "Prince" Billy. A Kickass live album called "Summer in the Southeast."


Death to Everyone [taken down]

1 comment:

Joe Merrick said...

Ahhhh, rappie pie. It was the best of times; it was the blurst of times.