Tuesday, January 17, 2006

More things.

It's not that I'm obsessed with cab drivers...

I take 4-7 cab rides a week... that averages out to just around $100/month... so I figure if I derive occasional entertainment from their quirks and peculiarities it still works out to be exceptionally expensive entertainment. Thankfully there's transportation included.

Yesterday's driver picked me up at Sobey's on Regent as I was getting my week's worth of dinners for the lab. He began the conversation with:

CD: What do you do at the University.


ME: I work at the media lab. I sort've manage it at night...

CD: Media lab? What's that?

ME: Computers. Video editing. People doing Power Point... er, you know... computers.


CD: Ah. Listen. You wouldn't know anyone up there who works in Human Rights, would you?

>>>Now I have to break in here and explain that this particular driver is quite an adept mumbler. Not only does he mumble, which he does, but he seems to have a selective mumbling pattern which is compounded by his tendency to jump into and out of sentences without warning<<<

ME: Human Rights... the nearest I could suggest might be checking out the Sociology department. Maybe?

CD: MMmmm. Yeah... [mumbles] some advice about theft and property.


ME: Theft?

CD: Yeah... The government, not only... [mumbles]... kind of a make work... [mumbles]... but at the end, about 6 or 7 years of livelihood, or you could... [mumbles]... really my life.


>>>Had I been a little brighter I would have let things rest there, but...<<<

ME: How did they take your livelihood?


CD: Well... [mumbles]... in Moncton, and they had it all drawn up, but... [mumbles]... in the end it was just make work for the highway guys... do you know the scandals in Ottawa? The sponsorship... [mumbles]. Anyway the companies were all in Quebec and... [mumbles], so they'd keep them IN. And the highway companiew are all from, in Moncton, Quebec... and... [mumbles]... just sold my gravel pit recently, but then the evaluator charged me based on his evaluation... [mumbles]... but my paperwork was already IN! And the lawyers are a protection agency, all work for the same people... [mumbles]... and my neighbour was told 43 thousand, but on the books it worked out to 143 thousand! But... [mumbles]... just a make work for the highway, the Quebec company, keep them in Canada. So I need someone... [mumbles]... not, like the lawyers, not a protection agency for the government. So if... [mumbles]... let me know. OK?

ME: Yes.

Today's song is from Tricky's 1996 side project Nearly God.


Tattoo [taken down]

I should have noted earlier but each song will stay up for one day only.

No comments: